A bill of sale is a legal document that is used to transfer ownership of a property from one person (or entity) to another. Below you’ll find some Microsoft Word bill of sale templates that you can download for free. This will help you to draft up a bill of sale quickly and easily.
What does a bill of sale do?
A bill of sale does nothing more than prove the transfer of ownership of a property. This can be a good of any kind and it can be transferred between persons (which is the most usual case) or between other entities. A bill of sale can be between a company and a person of course – when you buy an item in a store for example. Or there can be a bill of sale between two organizations.
A bill of sale is a legal document and is used to establish proof that a certain property was indeed transferred from one owner to another. This helps establish future and past ownership and resolve ownership disputes. It also helps in case of warranty claims or other common uses of the bill of sale.
How do I write a bill of sale?
If you decide to write a bill of sale from scratch (rather than just download one of the free templates below), then it’s important to think about what type of bill of sale you have and what kind of information need to be there.
There are essentially two categories of bill of sale:
- Absolute: an absolute bill of sale is simply a statement that a certain property was sold. There are no conditional clauses and this is the most common type of bill of sale.
- Conditional: a conditional bill of sale includes one or more conditions on which the sale depends. Usually these conditions pertain to financing/payment/security. An example would be where you would include the ownership of a piece of property in case payment for something else is not made.
Generic bills of sale typically include the following items:
- Date of purchase
- Name and address of seller and buyer
- Signatures of seller and buyer
- Description of the property being transferred
- Amount paid for the transfer of ownership
- A guarantee that the item in question is free from all claims
- Other warranties and claims
- In case of notarized bills of sale: Notary seal and signature
For vehicle bills of sale you will also see the following:
- VIN number or other identification number of the vehicle
- The make (brand), model and year of the vehicle
- The mileage
- A short description of the vehicle – this usually includes color and special characteristics (interior / special addons etc)
- For boats: hull number
Is a handwritten bill of sale legal?
Yes, a handwritten bill of sale is legal (see Pandadoc). It would actually be very strange if that wasn’t the case – since typewriters and computers were not around when lots of laws were drawn up!
That doesn’t mean you should write your bill of sale by hand of course. It’s much easier to download one of the Word templates below and start from there. When you have an electronic bill of sale, it’s much easier and quicker to get signatures and have it checked by a notary.
Bill of Sale Templates
Notarized Bill of Sale Templates
Vehicle Bill of Sale Templates
Below are some templates that can be used to transfer the ownership of vehicles, such as cars, trailers, motorcycles and boats. Usually you’ll find data like the VIN number and other relevant vehicle information. This is data that you won’t usually find on other bill of sale templates.